Ham and Cheese Stuffed Chicken Breasts
Author: Meals Matter; Eating Well
Recipe type: Entrees
What’s not to love about adding ham and cheese to any chicken dish? This is a simpler version of a dish called Chicken Cordon Blue. Low Calorie; Low Fat.
- ¼ cup grated Swiss, Monterey jack or part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped ham
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (1-1¼ pounds total)
- 1 egg white
- ½ cup plain dry breadcrumbs
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Use a baking sheet with sides and lightly coat it with cooking spray.
- Mix cheese, ham, mustard and pepper in a small bowl.
- Cut a horizontal slit along the thin, long edge of a chicken breast half, nearly through to the opposite side.
- Open up the breast and place one-fourth of the filling in the center. Close the breast over the filling, pressing the edges firmly together to seal.
- Repeat with the remaining chicken breasts and filling.
- Lightly beat egg white with a fork in a medium bowl.
- Place breadcrumbs in a shallow glass dish.
- Hold each chicken breast half together and dip in egg white, then dredge in breadcrumbs. (Discard leftovers.)
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add chicken breasts; cook until browned on one side, about 2 minutes.
- Place the chicken, browned-side up, on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake until the chicken is no longer pink in the center or until an instant-read thermometer registers 170°F, about 20 minutes.
Calories: 236 Fat: 7g Saturated fat: 2g Carbohydrates: 10g Sodium: 287mg Fiber: 1g Protein: 31g