Greek Lamb and Bean Stew
Author: Diabetes Comfort Food by Johanna Burkhard
Recipe type: Entrees
This is a rich and easy lamb stew. Easy to prepare; Low fat.
- 4 teaspoon olive oil, divided
- 1 lb lean boneless lamb, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 Spanish onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon hot pepper flakes
- 1 can (19 oz) tomatoes, including juice, chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups frozen lima beans
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and cubed
- 1 large green bell pepper, seeded and cubed
- ½ cup reduced sodium chicken
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- In a Dutch oven or large saucepan, heat 2 teaspoons oil over high heat; brown lamb, in batches if necessary. Transfer to a plate.
- Add remaining oil to pan; reduce heat to medium.
- Add onion, garlic, oregano and hot pepper flakes; cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until softened.
- Return meat to pan along with any juices.
- Add tomatoes with juice, salt and pepper; bring to boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Add beans, red and green peppers and enough chicken broth to make a sauce-like consistency.
- Cover and bake in preheated oven for 40 minutes or until lamb is tender. Stir in parsley.
Calories: 350 Fat: 12g Saturated fat: 4g Carbohydrates: 32g Sodium: 445mg Fiber: 7g Protein: 27g Cholesterol: 70mg