Fruit and Nut Tuna Sandwiches
Author: Cook Once, Eat For A Week by Jyl Steinback, America’s Healthiest Mom
Recipe type: Lunch
A fruity take on tuna sandwiches and the jicama and nuts add nice texture and crunch. Easy to prepare; Make ahead; Low fat.
- 12 oz. can water packed tuna, drained well
- 1 cup chopped pear
- ¼ cup diced jicama
- ⅓ cup chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon sweet pickle relish
- ⅓ cup nonfat mayonnaise,or as needed
- 6 pita breads, cut in half
- 6 romaine lettuce leaves
- Combine tuna, pear, jicama, walnuts and pickle relish in medium bowl; stir in mayonnaise (adding more as needed for desired consistency.)
- Cover and refrigerate up to 24 hours.
- When ready to serve, line pita pockets with romaine lettuce leaves; fill with tuna mixture or prepare the night before, wrap securely and take for a quick lunch the next day.
Calories: 254 Fat: 4.9g Carbohydrates: 29g Sodium: 532mg Fiber: 2g Protein: 23g Cholesterol: 10mg