Flour less Chocolate Cake
Author: 1,001 Delicious Desserts for People with Diabetes by Sue Spitler with Linda Eugene, R.D., C.D.E., , and Linda R. Yoakam, R.D., M.S.
Recipe type: Desserts
Gluten free. Remarkably rich. Low fat.
- ½ cup Dutch process cocoa
- ¾ cup packed light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoon flour
- 2 tsp instant espresso powder
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- Pinch pepper
- ¾ cup fat-free milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 oz unsweetened, or bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 oz semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 egg
- 3 egg whites
- ⅛ teaspoon cream of tartar
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- Rich Chocolate Frosting
- 2-3 teaspoon butter, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons Dutch process cocoa
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 2-3 tablespoons fat-free milk
- Mix margarine, powdered, sugar, cocoa and vanilla with enough milk to make thin spreadable consistency.
- Combine cocoa, brown sugar, flour, coffee granules, salt, and pepper in medium saucepan
- Gradually stir in milk and vanilla to make smooth.
- Heat over medium heat, stirring frequently, until mixture is hot and sugar dissolved (do not boil).
- Remove saucepan from heat; add chocolate, stirring until melted.
- Slowly whisk about ½ cup chocolate mixture into egg
- Whisk egg mixture back into saucepan. Cool to room temperature.
- In medium bowl, beat egg whites until foamy
- Add cream of tartar and beat to soft peaks.
- Continue beating, gradually adding sugar until stiff, but not dry, peaks form.
- Stir about ¼ if the egg whites into cooled chocolate mixture
- Fold chocolate mixture into remaining egg whites.
- Lightly grease bottom and sides of 9-inch round cake pan; line bottom of pan with parchment paper. Pour batter into pan.
- Place pan in large roasting pan on center oven rack; add 1 inch hot water.
- Bake cake at 350ºF until just firm when lightly touched, 25 to 30 minutes (do not test with toothpick as cake will still be soft in the center).
- Cool completely on wire rack; refrigerate, covered, 8 hours or overnight.
- Loosen side of cake from pan with sharp knife. Remove from pan and peel off parchment. Place on serving plate.
- Frost top of cake with Rich Chocolate Frosting.
Calories: 251 Fat: 6.8g Saturated fat: 3.2g Carbohydrates: 45.8g Sodium: 79mg Fiber: n/a Protein: 4.8 Cholesterol: 21.7mg