Fall Slaw With Apples and Bacon
Author: MealsMatter.org Los Angeles Times
Recipe type: Salads
Quick to prepare (less than 15 minutes).
- 6 t Cider vinegar
- 1 t Plus 1 tsp red wine vinegar
- 3 t Water
- 3 t Oil
- 3 t Minced shallots
- 2 t Plus 2 tsp honey
- ½ tsp Coarse salt
- Red pepper flakes, to taste
- 12 cups ⅓-inch-thick sliced mixed cabbage, such as red, green and savoy
- 2 Tart apples, quartered, cored, shredded in food processor
- ¾ cup Small-diced celery
- ¼ cup Snipped chives
- 7 Bacon slices, cooked until crisp, crumbled
- Combine the cider and red wine vinegars, the water, oil, shallots, honey, salt and red pepper flakes in a small dish.
- Place the cabbage, apples, celery and chives in a large bowl. Add the dressing. Toss until well coated. (This can be made a day ahead and refrigerated.)
- Serve chilled. Just before serving, add the bacon; toss well. Taste; adjust the seasonings, honey and vinegar as necessary. Serve immediately (while the bacon is crisp).
Calories: 158 Fat: 9g Saturated fat: 2g Carbohydrates: 17g Sodium: 283mg Fiber: 4.28g Protein: 4g