Potato Pancakes with Applesauce
Author: Meals Matter
Recipe type: Side Dishes - Carbs
- 4 whole green apples, cut into eighths
- 2½ cups apple juice (no sugar added)
- 6 red potatoes, peeled and grated
- 1 onion, peeled and grated
- 1 large egg
- 10 tablespoons corn oil, divided
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- Simmer apples (not peeled, cored or seeded) in apple Juice for 30 minutes or until very soft.
- Drain, reserving the liquid.
- Push apple through sieve and discard peel and seeds.
- Simmer liquid to reduce by half and stir into applesauce.
- Combine potato and onion in large mixer bowl.
- Beat egg with 2 tablespoons oil and salt; combine with potato mixture.
- Pour enough remaining oil into a large skillet to cover bottom with about 1/16 inch of oil.
- Heat to very hot but not smoking, and drop potato mixture in by heaping tablespoons.
- Flatten immediately so pancakes are about 4 inches in diameter (smaller pancakes will burn). Try to keep them neatly round.
- Fry for 3 to 5 minutes or until golden brown; flip and brown other side.
- Drain on paper towels. Serve with applesauce and sour cream
Calories: 240 Fat: 11g Saturated fat: 4g Carbohydrates: 34g Sodium: 100 mg Fiber: 2g Protein: 3g
Recipe by Defeat Diabetes Foundation at http://www.defeatdiabetes.org/potato-pancakes-with-applesauce/