Curried Butternut Squash Bisque
Author: Meals Matter; Dr. Weil's My Optimum Health Plan
Recipe type: Soups and Stews
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 6 cups de-fatted reduced-sodium chicken stock
- 1 cup apple cider
- ½ cup white rice
- 2 lbs. butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste
- ½ cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 2 tablespoons skim milk
- In a heavy soup pot, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add onions and garlic; saute for 2 to 3 minutes, or until slightly softened.
- Stir in curry and cumin and cook for 1 minute.
- Add chicken stock, cider, rice and squash; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cover the pan; simmer for 30 to 40 minutes, or until the squash is tender.
- Pour the mixture through a strainer set over a large bowl.
- Puree the solids in a food processor or blender until very smooth.
- Return the puree and liquid to the saucepan.
- To serve, heat the soup gently and season with salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl, stir together yogurt and milk.
- Ladle the soup into bowls, and add a dollop of the yogurt mixture. Draw the tip of a knife or a toothpick through the yogurt to make decorative swirls.
- (The soup can be prepared ahead and stored, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.)
Calories: 107 Fat: 2g Saturated fat: 0g Carbohydrates: 22g Sodium: 163mg Fiber: 1g Protein: 4g
Recipe by Defeat Diabetes Foundation at http://www.defeatdiabetes.org/curried-butternut-squash-bisque/