Thai Coconut Curry with Pork & Vegetables
Author: Meals Matter AHA No-Fad Diet
Recipe type: Entrees
- 1 Cup Uncooked instant brown rice
- 4 Medium green onions, chopped
- Vegetable oil spray
- 4 Boneless center-cut pork chops (about 4 ounces each), all visible fat discarded, cut into ½-inch cubes
- 1 Cup Baby carrots
- ½ Medium onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 stalk Lemongrass or 1 tsp grated lemon zest
- 1½ c Fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tsp Thai red curry paste
- ½ c Light coconut milk
- 2 tblspn Cornstarch
- 4 ounces Fresh broccoli florets (about 1 C)
- Prepare the rice using the package directions, omitting salt and oil and adding the green onions. Set aside and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Remove from the heat and lightly spray with vegetable oil spray.
- Cook the pork for 3 to 4 minutes, or until browned, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the carrots and onion. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until the carrots are tender-crisp and the onion is soft.
- Meanwhile, trim and discard about 6 inches from the slender tip of the lemongrass stalk.
- Remove the outer layer of leaves from the bottom part of the stalk. Cut the stalk in half lengthwise.
- Stir the lemongrass, broth, and red curry paste into the pork mixture. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the pork is no longer pink in the center and the vegetables and tender, stirring occasionally.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the coconut milk and cornstarch until smooth. Stir into the pork mixture.
- Add the broccoli. Simmer, covered, for 3 to 4 minutes, or until the mixture is thickened and the broccoli is tender, stirring occasionally. Remove the lemongrass.
- To serve, spoon the rice into bowls. Ladle the pork mixture on top.
Calories: 322 Fat: 9g Saturated fat: 3.5g Unsaturated fat: 1g Carbohydrates: 30g Sodium: 137mg Fiber: 4g Protein: 27g
Recipe by Defeat Diabetes Foundation at http://www.defeatdiabetes.org/thai-coconut-curry-with-pork-vegetables/