Sweet Potatoes w/ Maple Syrup
Author: Fruits & Veggies—More Matters™ recipes. It meets the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s strict nutrition guidelines as a healthy recipe.
Recipe type: Side Dishes - Carbs
- 5 medium sweet potatoes
- 2 Tbsp. maple syrup
- ½ tsp. salt
- black pepper, to taste
- ½ tsp. ground cardamom (or ground nutmeg)
- 1 Tbsp. salted butter
- Preheat oven to 375° F and place oven rack in middle position.
- Scrub sweet potatoes well, place on baking sheet and bake for 35 to 45 minutes until very soft to the squeeze. (Baking time will differ depending on freshness and size of the sweet potatoes.)
- Remove potatoes from oven; cool briefly to handling temperature.
- Cut both ends off each potato and carefully peel each potato.
- Place in a deep bowl and mash with potato masher, large fork, or back of a large spoon.
- Season with maple syrup, salt, black pepper, and ground cardamom or nutmeg, mixing well.
- If necessary, reheat briefly in microwave. Scoop into serving bowl and top with butter.
Each serving provides: An excellent source of vitamin A, vitamin C and calcium, and a good source of foliate and fiber.
Serving size: 1 cup Calories: 228 Fat: 3g Saturated fat: 1.9g Carbohydrates: 47g Sodium: 368mg Fiber: 5g Protein: 3g Cholesterol: 8mg
Recipe by Defeat Diabetes Foundation at http://www.defeatdiabetes.org/sweet-potatoes-w-maple-syrup/