Western Wheat Pilaf
Author: Courtesy of the California Fig Advisory Board
Recipe type: Side Dishes - Carbs
- ½ cup onion -- finely chopped
- 2 Tbs butter or margarine
- 1 cup bulgur wheat
- 2 cups low fat chicken broth
- ¼ cup fresh orange juice
- ¼ cup sherry
- ½ cup dried figs -- finely chopped
- 3 Tbs sesame seeds -- or pine nuts
- 1 tsp orange peel -- finely grated
- Saute onion in margarine until soft.
- Stir in wheat to coat with butter or margarine.
- Add chicken broth.
- Measure orange juice and add enough sherry to make ½ cup.
- Add to pilaf.
- Cover and simmer over low heat for 35 minutes
- Five minutes before serving stir in figs, sesame seeds or pine nuts and orange peel
- Cover and complete cooking
Calories: 243 Fat: 10.5g Carbohydrates: 34.7g Sugar: 17.3g Sodium: 142.5mg Fiber: 9.3g Protein: 6g Cholesterol: 7.7mg
Recipe by Defeat Diabetes Foundation at http://www.defeatdiabetes.org/western-wheat-pilaf/