Pumpkin, Potato and Leek Soup
Author: Meals Matter
Recipe type: Soups and Stews
- 1 lb pumpkin or squash
- White part of 2 leeks, rinsed thoroughly
- 2 medium potatoes
- 1½ cups water
- Salt, to taste
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup heavy cream, milk or half and half
- White pepper
- Fresh grated nutmeg
- Cube and peel uncooked pumpkin.
- Cut leeks in pieces. Peel and cut potatoes.
- Combine pumpkin, leeks, potatoes, water and a pinch of salt in a saucepan. Cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer over low heat for 30 minutes until veggies are tender.
- Puree veggies in food processor with liquid.
- Return to pan. Bring to boil. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir in milk, reduce heat to low and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Stir in cream and simmer, add white pepper, nutmeg and salt if needed.
- Soup may be refrigerated covered for 1 day before serving.
- Put chopped parsley on top before serving.
Reduce the prep time by substituting canned pumpkin or sweet potatoes.
Calories: 302 Fat: 12g Saturated fat: 7.2g Unsaturated fat: 1g Carbohydrates: 45g Sodium: 214mg Fiber: 6g Protein: 7g
Recipe by Defeat Diabetes Foundation at http://www.defeatdiabetes.org/pumpkin-potato-and-leek-soup/