Crock Posole Stew
Author: Meals Matter; Better Homes and Gardens
Recipe type: Soups and Stews
This is a hearty stew with a hint or two of heat and warm south of the border flavors. Crock pot; Low Calorie; Low Fat; Make ahead.
- 2 14-1/2-ounce cans golden hominy, drained
- 1 4-ounce can chopped green chili peppers, undrained
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts and/or or thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 14-1/2 ounce can tomatoes, un-drained and cut up
- 2 14-1/2 ounce cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh cilantro
- Fat-free dairy sour cream (optional)
- Place hominy, chili peppers, onion, garlic, chicken, tomatoes, chicken broth, oregano, and cumin in a 3-1/2, 4, or 5-quart crockery cooker.
- Cover and cook on low setting for 5 to 6 hours or on high setting for 2-1/2 to 3 hours.
- Stir in cilantro. Garnish each serving with fat-free sour cream, if desired.
Calories: 132 Fat: 3g Carbohydrates: 13g Sodium: 566mg Fiber: 1g Protein: 14g