Author: Meals Matter, whymilk, whymilk.com
Recipe type: Beverages
This is a spicy, minty, totally change of pace cappuccino; Quick to Prepare (under 30 minutes); Low fat; Low sodium; Good Source of Calcium.
- 3 cup fat free skim or 1% low fat milk
- 2 cup regular-strength brewed coffee
- 1 bunch fresh mint, about ½ cup tightly packed
- 4 cinnamon sticks or ½ teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1 tsp mint syrup or 2 tablespoons creme de menthe, optional
- 1 small package cinnamon Red Hots
- 1 small bunch of fresh mint
- Wash mint. Remove about a dozen leaves and reserve for garnish.
- Combine 2 cups of milk, coffee, washed mint stalks and leaves, and cinnamon sticks or powdered cinnamon in a small saucepan or microwave bowl or cup.
- Heat over medium heat or in microwave just until the liquid starts to steam and a few bubbles appear; don’t boil.
- Set aside and let steep for at least fifteen minutes and as long as an hour.
- For foamed milk, place 1 cup of hot milk in a blender container with the sugar.
- Cover with a vented lid. Blend until frothy, about 30 seconds. Switch the blender on and off quickly to avoid splashing overflows, and then continue blending.
- Pour coffee-mint mixture through a clean strainer into a pitcher or large measuring cup; if it has cooled, reheat without letting it come to a boil.
- Stir in the optional mint syrup or creme de menthe.
- Divide coffee among three serving cups and spread foamed milk over each one.
- Sprinkle four or five Red Hots over foamed milk and garnish with two or three mint leaves.
Calories: 177 Fat: 2g Saturated fat: 0.3g Unsaturated fat: 0.1g Carbohydrates: 26g Sodium: 121mg Fiber: 1g Protein: 9g