Chicken with Lentils, Dates and Rice
Author: Courtesy of California Date Commission
Recipe type: Entrees
This is a hearty, warm and satisfying chicken dish. Easy to prepare.
- 4 chicken breasts, boneless, skinned and halved
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, medium and chopped
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup lentils, dried
- ½ cup dates, chopped
- ½ cup long grain rice
- ½ cup red peppers, diced
- ½ cup carrots, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, mined
- ½ teaspoon lemon peel, grated
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ curry powder
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- Brown chicken breast in 1 Tablespoon oil in large, heavy saucepan over medium heat.
- Remove chicken and set aside.
- Add remaining 1 Tablespoon oil to pan
- Add onions and saute until golden brown
- Add broth, lentils, rice, carrots, peppers, garlic, lemon, cumin and curry.
- Bring to a boil; cover and simmer 15 minutes.
- Arrange chicken breasts on top of lentil mixture; cover and simmer another 8-10 minutes, until chicken breasts are cooked thoroughly and lentils are tender.
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
Calories: 553 Fat: 11g Carbohydrates: 67g Sodium: 815mg Fiber: 5g Protein: 45g