Author: Fruits & Veggies—More Matters™ recipes: Recipe was developed for Produce for Better Health Foundation (PBH) by Chef Carmen I. Jones, CCP.
Recipe type: Entrees
An easy to prepare weeknight chicken dish filled with plenty of spinach! Easy to prepare; Low in fat.
- 4 cups firmly packed baby spinach leaves, stems removed and washed or 1 – 10 oz. package frozen, chopped spinach
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves, crushed or fresh equivalent
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- salt and pepper, optional*
- 4 grilled or roasted chicken breasts, shredded or chopped (about 4 cups chopped)
- 2 lemons, to yield 2 tablespoons grated lemon peel and 4 lemon wedges for garnish
- Prepare spinach and place in a large skillet over MEDIUM heat and cook, covered, until fresh is wilted or frozen is heated through. Spinach should have a dark, rich green color. Do not overcook, or the spinach will change color.
- Remove spinach and drain well.
- In same skillet, heat thyme with oil, garlic, and onion and sauté until onion is transparent.
- Stir in flour until it disappears.
- Add broth and stir continuously until a thickened sauce is formed.
- Return chopped spinach to sauce and mix well. Heat and adjust seasonings, if desired.
- Stir half the chicken into sauce.
- To serve, spoon equal amounts in four small casseroles. Top each with equal portions of remaining chicken and ½ tablespoon grated lemon peel.
- Place in preheated 300º F oven for 10 minutes. Serve piping hot with a lemon wedge.
- *Optional ingredients are not included in dietary analysis.
Each serving provides: An excellent source of vitamins A, C and folate, and a good source of calcium, magnesium, potassium and fiber. This recipe meets PBH and Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC) nutrition standards that maintain fruits and vegetables as healthy foods.
Calories: 221 Fat: 7.1g Saturated fat: 1.6g Carbohydrates: 9g Sodium: 268mg Fiber: 3g Protein: 30g Cholesterol: 74mg