Charlie Palmer’s Spicy Lamb Sausage and Walnuts in Phyllo Pastry Triangles
Author: Meals Matter, cawalnut, www.walnuts.org
Recipe type: Entrees
Spicy, savory seasoned lamb and walnuts in thin rich pastry make for tempting finger food. Special Occasion recipe.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ cup onion, diced
- ¼ cup fennel, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1½ lbs. lamb sausage
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon cardamom, ground
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- ½ teaspoon coriander, ground
- ¼ teaspoon cumin, ground
- ½ cup California walnuts, toasted
- 2 tablespoons chives, fresh, chopped
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoon water
- 12 sheets (1/2 lb.) Phyllo dough, commercially prepared
- ½ – ¾ cup unsalted butter, melted
- coarse salt as needed
- Black pepper, freshly ground as needed
- Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Add onion, fennel and garlic and sauté about 4 minutes, until softened.
- Add sausage and cook, breaking up sausage with spatula, for 5 minutes.
- Add paprika, cardamom, cinnamon, coriander and cumin. Cook 5 minutes more.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir in walnuts and chives and remove from heat. You will have about 3½ cups sausage mixture. Set aside.
- Whisk egg and water together and set aside.
- To form phyllo pastry triangles, cut 1 sheet of phyllo in half length-wise. Fold each half in half lengthwise, thus making 2 strips each about 3″ wide. (Keep any phyllo you are not working on covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel.) Brush each strip lightly with melted butter.
- Place about 3 tablespoons sausage mixture to the left end of each strip. working with one strip at a time, fold corner of phyllo over filling on a diagonal, so left edge of strip is flush with bottom edge. Continue folding, as you would fold a flag, thus forming a triangular packet.
- Repeat buttering, filling and folding with remaining phyllo sheets.
- Brush tops of finished pastries with egg mixture and set aside.
- Place phyllo triangles on parchment covered sheet pan and bake in a preheated 350°F oven about 15 minutes, until crisp and golden. Serve hot.
Calories: 608 Fat: 46.2g Saturated fat: 20.6g Unsaturated fat: 6.7g Carbohydrates: 22g Sodium: 283mg Fiber: 2g Protein: 26g