Braised Chicken and Apples
Author: Meals Matter
Recipe type: Entrees
An easy and quick to prepare dish that kids can help with! Low fat; Low sodium.
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 – 3 golden delicious apples, cored, peeled and sliced
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 big pinch dried thyme leaves
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- ½ cup apple cider
- Heat oil in a heavy-bottomed skillet over medium-high heat.
- Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper.
- Brown chicken on both sides, about 3 minutes per side. Remove chicken to a plate and keep warm.
- Add apples and shallots to the skillet. Cook until apples begin to soften, about 2 minutes.
- Add thyme, salt and a generous grinding of black pepper. Cook 1 minute.
- Pour in chicken broth and cider and cook over high heat until the liquid has reduced by half, about 5 minutes.
- Return chicken breasts to the skillet, nestling them in among the apples. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until chicken is no longer pink in the middle, about 8 minutes.
Calories: 275 Fat: 4g Saturated fat: 1g Unsaturated fat: 1g Carbohydrates: 30g Sodium: 164mg Fiber: 2g Protein: 30g