Author: 1,001 Delicious Recipes for People with Diabetes Edited by Linda Eugene, R.D., C.D.E., Sue Spitler, and Linda R. Yoakam, R.D., M.S.
Recipe type: Soups and Stews
Cuisine: Eastern European
- 4 medium beets, peeled, cut into julienne strips
- 8 ounces low-fat smoked Polish sausage, sliced
- ½-1 tbsp margarine
- 6 cups reduced-sodium fat-free beef broth
- 1 small head red cabbage, thinly sliced or shredded
- 2 carrots, cut into julienne strips
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2-3 tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp cider vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Finely chopped dill weed or parsley, as garnish
- Sauté beets and sausage in margarine in Dutch oven 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add broth, cabbage, carrots, garlic, bay leaf, sugar and vinegar; heat to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until vegetables are tender, 20 to 30 minutes. Discard bay leaf; season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Pour soup into bowls; sprinkle with dill weed.
Serving size: 1¼ cups Calories: 120 Fat: 3.7g Saturated fat: 0.4g Carbohydrates: 13.1g Sodium: 437mg Fiber: n/a Protein: 10.9 Cholesterol: 17.2mg