Balsamic Glazed Pearl Onions
Author: Meals Matter, Gourmet
Recipe type: Vegetables
Great holiday recipe or anytime you need something easy but colorful. Quick to Prepare (under 30 minutes); Simple (6 ingredients or less); Make Ahead; Low Sodium.
- 2½ lbs. Assorted pearl onions such as red, white and/or yellow (about 8 cups)
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 cup Balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup Water
- In a saucepan of boiling water blanch one third of onions 3 minutes and drain. Blanch remaining onions in batches in same manner. Cool onions and peel.
- In a large heavy skillet heat oil over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking and saute onions until lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add vinegar and water and simmer, stirring occasionally, until onions are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Transfer onions with a slotted spoon to a platter, reserving liquid.
- Glazed onions may be prepared up to this point 2 days ahead and onions and reserved liquid chilled separately, covered.
- Reheat onions in reserved liquid adding a little water if necessary, and transfer with slotted spoon to platter.
- Simmer reserved liquid until thickened and syrupy and reduced to about ½ cup.
- Spoon sauce over onions and serve warm or at room temperature.
Calories: 126 Fat: 4g Saturated fat: 0g Unsaturated fat: 0g Carbohydrates: 21g Sodium: 11mg Fiber: 3g Protein: 2g