Asparagus with Parmesan and Toasted Almonds
Author: America’s Complete Diabetes Cookbook Edited by Katherine E. Younker, MBA, RD, Certified Diabetes Educator
Recipe type: Vegetables
- 1½ lbs asparagus
- ¼ cup sliced blanched almonds
- 2 tbsp margarine or butter
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- ¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Snap off asparagus ends; cut spears on the diagonal into 2-inch lengths.
- In a large nonstick skillet, bring ½ cup water to a boil; cook asparagus for 2 minutes (start timing when water returns to a boil) or until just tender-crisp.
- Run under cold water to chill; drain and reserve.
- Dry the skillet and place over medium heat.
- Add almonds and toast, stirring often, for 2 to 3 minutes or until golden.
- Remove and reserve.
- Increase heat to medium-high.
- Add butter to skillet; cook asparagus and garlic, stirring, for 4 minutes or until asparagus is just tender.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan; season with salt and pepper. Transfer to serving bowl; top with almonds.
Calories: 107 Fat: 8g Saturated fat: 4g Carbohydrates: 7g Sodium: 113mg Fiber: 2g Protein: 5g Cholesterol: 14mg